MK2 Dash into a MK1

List,
Thought I'd throw out some of my experience since I have been glomming on so
much lately.  I am swapping as much as possible from an 86 16v parts car
into my '79 and was working on the dash today.  Something is not quite the
right with the shape. the total width is correct (consistency between A1
chassis I imagine) but the 2 mounting holes on each end will not line up.
By about an inch. There are 4 clips the top of the dash shoves into against
the top of the fire wall and the spacing between them is not the same.  The
2 outer ones match at about 7" from the A pillar each but the 2 "inner" ones
are not staggered the same. Haven't figured out why the change yet. Probably
ventilation duct changes.  The bottom left of the new dash just below the
speedo cluster does fit very snug against the top of the steering column
already and that is w/o the thin brittle plastic "collar" around the column
that covers some of the wiring connections.  So that is what I know so far.
The dash wont go forward any more as those 2 clips are "locked" in and there
is still about 1/2 inch gap in front of the dashes leading edge.  This is
the direction that it would need to go for those 4 screw holes on the end to
match. I am nervous about cutting anything and for me this might be close
enough with a bead of some nice black rubber 1/2 or 3/4 inch round rubber
weather strip trim piece to "fill" that gap for aesthetic purposes.  I have
a decent dig. camera and in the future will be posting a lot of these
procedures on the web but if anyone is interested I can send them a few.
	If anyone is doing the same thing or has already, and gotten better
progress than me let me know and we can "compare notes".  David G. I know
you are.
	Hope this is helpful or at least interesting to some.
BTW al this trouble is worth it.  Nearly crack free and jet black.
"...get back Loretta!..."

Ken
'79 Scirocco (soon to be 1.8 16v)
"mcfly"