RE: First AutoX completed! woohooooo

Cool! I'm glad I didn't wait until my 40th to give it a try. :) So, will you
be going back next time? After you've been to a few events and start to
really get a feel for it, there's nothing like the feeling you get when you
start figuring out how to get the car to move in magical ways. It's the
biggest (safe/legal) rush you can get for $20.

The 16v Scirocco probably won't win you a national championship, but it can
be VERY competitive locally. We've been running the Impreza for a while now,
but I decided to take the 16v out on Saturday for our region's practice day.
Most of the local "hot shoes" weren't there, but there was a BMW M3 that was
beating everyone's times by about two seconds. After I re-learned how to
drive (an AWD Subaru with 2.5 liters of grunt and race rubber is just a
*little* different than the 16v!!), I was able to get my times down to where
he was. They didn't write down times since it was a practice day, but I know
that we were within a couple tenths of a second of each other. I might have
even beaten him. After it was over, I noticed him changing tires. He had
Kuhmo race tires and a full set of TC Kline Koni coilovers. Suddenly, my day
seemed pretty damn good! It's always a pleasure to compete with someone who
spent as much on shocks & wheels as you did on your whole car. ;)

I really wonder what a national-level driver could do with a
seriously-prepped 16v in STS. It may not have Subaru power, but it is 400lbs
lighter...

Neal