RE: tire question

What you're seeing are "age cracks". It's a result of ozone and UV light
breaking down the rubber over time. Heat cycling from hard driving or
autocrossing will also speed the process.

If the cracks are small, don't worry about it. It is definitely something
that you should keep an eye on, though. If the cracks get large or the tread
starts separating from the sidewalls, replace them!

Neal