Re: considering new changes to engine...

Patrick Bureau wrote:

> So you are suggestion to get a 2.0L block (3a = PL ??) and slap my 1.8l 8v
> head on it.
> I am not sure what that would improve on? I though doing this would increase
> compression
> at the pistons and that would result in head gasket blowouts. (from what I
> understand, which is limited to be honest)

Well, aren't 16v all 10:1 anyway?
You can go with a 10:1 motor without worrying too much about blown head
gaskets, they happen for all the same reasons: overheating, etc.
The 3A is known as a 'bubble block' because the casting bellows out
around each cylinder.
As far as it equaling a PL, I don't think they are the same. I think the
article in question is talking about a PL block in an 84, with hydro
head. Lets do some research...
<http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/Default.htm>
<http://lipari.usc.edu/~jan/vw/Engine/Engine_Swaps.html>
See?