Help, another problem

Man, this car is starting to rack up the bad karma points..

Drive home, about an hour, no problems except a little jerk once in a while
from the bad distributor and an idle that won't settle down to 800 right
away when the car is in neutral.

Get home, park the car, and as it sits there at idle, the RPMs start
climbing. I tug on the gas pedal to see if it's stuck .. er? Keep climbing
... er ... now the temp gauge starts .. dead center and climbs to the first
point on the left side of "too hot" rather fast .. all in less than a
minute. Turn the key, pop the hood .. nothing looks wrong, smells wrong, is
leaking or giving me any sign of WTF just happened.

What gives? Still just the fault of a bad distributor or? All other
components are new- cooling etc.

Looks like I'm taking the almost clutchless 83 to work tomorrow huh?