Re: Front Seat - Recovering

I am sure that the cost of recovering seats is all relative to several
factors - The seats, the fabric, full recover - or just refacing them,
geographic location in US, ....etc., etc. , etc.
    I live near Birmingham, AL and have a local upholsterer that I use
almost exclusively, and he does excellent work, and is very reasonable. I
had a set of '84 GTI seats refaced in red and navy coordinating tweed, and a
rear seat covered to match, and this ran me $400. They looked better than
factory when he was done.
    The last set I had done was for a Corrado VR6 project, front Recaro's
out of a '91 GTI 16v, and a rear Corrado seat (which is 5 individual
pieces.) I had the seats done in tan and black leathermatch (high grade
vinyl, hard to distinguish from leather), with black piping. (I had the
bolsters done in tan the centers done in black, and  black piping on all the
bolsters. These seats were much more difficult to cover, and the material is
not cheap. These cost $705 to get done, and were beautiful when done.
    If I cannot find a nice set of seats to drop in, I have my existing ones
recovered. This does add to the cost of the project, but you can tailor it
to your tastes, and also get extra fabric to insert door panels, etc. in.
    One word of warning - if using a new    to you upholsterer, ask to see
some of his/her work, and get a quote before you leave anything. Just words
of experience sepeaking here. Nothing like going to pick up your seats, and
being dissatisfied with the workmanship, and also being overpriced.

Jeffrey W. Bynum