RE: [A2] Timing belt replacement

It's actually a 6mm hex key you'll need - don't get it from Sears as they
are junk.  I easily rounded one off on my '84, and we quit using them at
work a long time ago for that reason.  I bought a set of Blackhawk 3/8"
drive hex keys (I think that's Stanley's professional brand) and although
the set cost $35, it was worth it and they won't get stripped or twist off
like the Craftsman set.  This is also what we use at work for molds and
injection molding machines.

Sometimes you can get the screws out by using two wrenches, holding one
screw in place, and loosening another.  This sounds kind of crazy if you
haven't done it before, but it can work.  On my '84, I used a big strap
wrench to hold the water pump pulley in place while I loosened each screw.
In my experience, this pulley is the tough one.

After that, it's cake.  You don't need any special tool to tension the
belt - I think the manual says it's tensioned properly when the midpoint of
the section between the cam and intermediate shaft can be twisted 90*.  I
put it in place and tightened the tensioner, and it was right on, on two
different cars.

Good luck, and enjoy...

Aaron
'87 528e