Re: [A2] Timing belt replacement

The pulleys can be a pain if you don't have a 1/2" drive impact to rip out
the allen head bolts (the vibration created by the 1/2" drive works best for
me).  I would soak them (crank, p/s and w/p pulleys, or you can just pull
they p/s down out of the way), then before you try to crank them out, and
after you clean out the holes the best you can, put you allen socket in the
bolt and give it a few good blows (I use a copper hammer so it doesn't mess
up my socket).  This will sometimes loosen the bolt up a little (works
really good for corrosion).  IF you still strip them out, use your 12pt
socket for removing the axle bolts and tap it into the allen head bolt.  I
never have a problem beyond this point getting them out but if you do you
can try torx sockets.  An adjuster tool is nice to have also, remember too
that alot of the newer tensioners come with a smaller hole so you may have
to change your tensioner stud from a 8mm to a 6mm.  Be sure to ask when you
get your parts.  Lastly, remember that when the t-belt is installed, the
right side (or the front of the motor) should have very little slack when
installing.  The tensioner on the back side of the t-belt should take up all
the slack in the belt.  If you have slack between any two pulleys and
tighten the tensioner you will more than likely be a tooth off somewhere.
HTH!!

Dave