Re: ['86 8V] weird idle, low RPM, engine problems

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

> > My suspicion right now is that at least one injector is having problems,
> > probably with it's spray pattern. I've never replaced the injectors since
> > buying the car, and I haven't had a chance to look at their spray
> > patterns. Can anyone think of another (likely) possibility?
>
>   i would think it'd be either your o2 dying or your mixture got screwed
> up some how. my '85 8v exhibited the same problems with m mixture was
> off. you can also try disconnecting the o2 sensor and running around
> like taht to see if it's any better. if you do decide to do the
> injectors, they make a tool for it. fairly easy to do, though make sure
> you have another car to drive to the store. the injectors like to break
> sometimes. good luck.

The O2 sensor is pretty new (yeah, I could just have a bum one), so my
assumption is that it is working okay (the cycling behaviour seems to be
a normal part of how CIS controls the fuel-air mixture, it's just that at
some point in that cycle my engine starts running horribly...)

The next set of tests I'm going to do are with the injection system, so
I'll be checking how things change in closed and open loop operation with
the O2 sensor. I don't have a fuel pressure tester, though that would be
really useful in helping to diagnose this; time to pick up the cheap CIS
fuel pressure tester from JC Whitney...

Emissions seem to be fine, so I think the O2 system is working fine;
something changed suddenly, though, since the drivablity problems (where
I'd get misfires and no power until around 2000-3000 RPM) started
suddenly.

Thanks

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
            Scirocco MkII Diary - http://osroc.weblogs.com