['86 8V] weird idle, low RPM, engine problems

Here are the symptoms ('86 8V):

- idle alternates between seemingly normal operation and very rough idle
  that is characterized by misfires and exhaust "pops", and the engine
  appears to be shaking a lot.
- on accelerating, until I get to maybe 2000-3000 RPM, there is no power,
  with the same sort of symptoms as above (this just started happening).

The spark plugs are good, the wires are good, the distributor cap and
rotor seems to be in good condition (all around a year old). The plugs are
getting spark, timing is good. The alternating problems at idle seem to be
linked to the oxygen sensor loop cycling (i.e., using a dwell meter to see
what the oxygen sensor is doing, the idle problem cycles at the same rate
as the dwell meter cycles; hopefully I've explained this well enough).

My suspicion right now is that at least one injector is having problems,
probably with it's spray pattern. I've never replaced the injectors since
buying the car, and I haven't had a chance to look at their spray
patterns. Can anyone think of another (likely) possibility?

Thanks!

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
            Scirocco MkII Diary - http://osroc.weblogs.com