Can't take it off

In the middle of removing the tranny from my '88 scirocco to change the clutch.  I've removed all of the bolts/brackets. cables etc... and at this point I thought I'd be able to just slide the thing away from the engine and lower it.  No such luck.  I can get to to move away about .25 inch, but then is stops.  I'm trying to move every different way to get some movement, but no luck.  it's quite loose but I can't take off.

Any good methods out there that can help me get this thing off?  currently engine and tranny are supported but I hate to leave it that way for too long.

Help!

David Zanotti