Inner CV diagnosis/replacement

Hi all,

	I finally slid under my car that's been sitting for a month or so.  I
stopped driving it because there was a slight clunking associated with the
drivetrain.  I thought it might be one of the inner CVs (thanks to this
list), but I wasn't going to drive it until I was sure.  Anyway, I took it
out today.  No clunking noise, but a slight vibration.  Not constant, but
consistently came back and made the same vibration every couple of seconds
at 40 mph in 4th gear.  The passenger side axle moves a little when I twist
it with the car in gear and weight on the front wheels.  I'm thinking this
is the problem, but need a little confirmation.  How much should an axle
twist in the above situation?

	Preemptive follow-up question:  How long will it take to fix for a decent
wrencher?  I've not worked on transaxles before, but the Bentley makes it
sound like it's not too bad.  Granted, I have none of the tools and stuff (a
new axle, triple squares, hub not socket, poly muhnuhmmuhnum grease, etc.).
But if I did, are we talking a couple hours, a couple days, or months?  Any
info/tips would help.

	TIA.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v