Re: Brake Pads

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:35:51 -0500 "Christian Els" <tiAn@usiw.net>
writes:

>Another good compromise are Porterfield P4S <-- the 'S' is important.
>These are nominally street pads, that work well cold. This is typically
>better in an AutoX environment where you run short sessions and don't
have a lot
>of time to build heat up prior to your run. I use these in my 'other'
car
>and am very happy. Less dust that with OEM Jurid pads, to boot.

Years ago, when I first got into the autox thing, I bought a set of these
pads. I was told that they would outlast rotors easily. I loved the idea
of keeping a set of $119 set pads and just replace $10 solid 9.4" rotors
as needed. Besides, at the time I had a couple sets of turnable rotors so
it sounded like a great investment/performance enhancement.

I was told, by the local speed shop (Dave Turner Motorsports, FYI.) that
the pads were great when cold, great when warm and greatest when hot.
More characteristic were that they ate rotors, were noisy and very dirty.

Previous to this, Ive had enough runs to get smoke comming off my rotors
and brake fade with the stock pads was a slight issue. Using a temp gun,
ive had 515 degrees off the front rotors so this pad seemed a good choice
at the time. I didn't care about them being dirty. I heard the road racer
pads make noise and that to me, at the time, sounded like music to my
ears so I didnt mind. (Keep in mind that I have a racers mentality. Of
sorts.)

So, after 6 months of using the pads, my conclusion was that they worked
great for what I wanted. They were hardly noisy at all. Only when cold
did they chatter ever so slightly. The brake dust was kinda cool. Nice
and black like the 24hours of Daytona cars. Wee. The rotors I had were
still looking new like. The only problem was the pads were GONE. Credit
card thin.

So for that reason I switched to the Ferodo's which for the last 4 years
or so have  given as good performance for more than half the price. Less
dirty, no noise. (I do use vented rotors now too FWIW.)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!