Springs in Junkyard: buy or no?

I was browsing my local Ford & Chevy junkyard today, when I actually came
across a beat to hell and back old Rabbit Diesel.  It had door mounted
seatbelts, what year was this?
Anyways... It had bilstiens on the back, they looks a little old.
The thing I am interested in is the springs.  They were quite a bit thicker
than my Scirocco's rear springs.  They looked quite robust, and new.  One
thing that caught my eye, and something that I think I would like, is that
they appeared to be NOT progressive rate.  Has anyone heard of
non-progressive rear springs?  My car is a bit too low, so I think these
would raise it up a little.  Has anyone ever tried non-progessive's in the
back?

Thanks
Ben
86 8v