LEDs [was Update: Extra Taillight Mod]

	I read an article a while back extolling the shorter time it takes for LEDs
to light up compared to a filament (as noted by Dick), and that the few
hundredths or milliseconds saved can decrease the chance of being
rear-ended.  Wouldn't the use of a relay further increase the light up time?
  This, plus the hassle of having to lay down a thicker wire from the
battery to the back has had me pondering LEDs for a while.

	JC Whitney sells several LED third brake lights.  Does anyone have any
experience with these?  I believe it has the requisite resistors built in so
installation should be plug-n-play.  They are cheap (about $9-15) but was
wondering if they were as bright as they claim (brighter than bulbs).

	I believe that many trucks and buses have LED stop and turn lights.  They
appear to be individual LEDs arrayed into a disc and are plenty bright
enough.  Since they are common, they must be commercially available?
Haven't thought about this as much but maybe they could be rigged into the
tail light assembly to replace the bulb holder with no worries about heat
build up?  benton-------

http://profiles.msn.com.