Transaxle removal

I'm going to remove the tranny in my '88 16v this week in preparation for a clutch job.  I've got a couple of questions before I start.

- Which components, not directly involved in the procedure, should be removed.  I thought it might help to remove the left hand side suspension to make the area easier to work in.  Is this a good/bad idea?

- Does the engine have to be at TDC to remove the tranny?

- The clutch cable (self-adjusting) looks tricky to remove.  What is the best way to do it?

- What are the hardest fasteners to get at/remove?  Any good tricks gained for experience that can be passed on would be appreciated.

- Any special tools required for the job that I may not know about (VW specific)?

David