Re: Compression Test Results

according to bentley manual...
JH engine compression = 131-174 (new engines)
    wear limit = 109
    max. difference between cylinders = 44

2H, PL engine compression = 145-189 (new engines)
    wear limit = 109
    max. difference between cylinders = 44

A much greater wet reading will indicate cracked or broken piston rings.  Head gasket may be another place to check for leaks.  There is not too much of a change between wet and dry readings.  Everything looks fine.

David Zanotti wrote:

 Attempting to asses the health of my '88 16v. It has run well for the last few years, but is now close to 130,000 miles.  I was wondering if I should start thinking about an engine rebuild.  I started with compression testing.  Here are the results:
cyl1 cyl2 cyl3 cyl4
195 190 200 190
215 with oil 230 with oil 210 with oil 230 with oil

Max difference between cylinders dry: 10psi

Max difference between cylinders with 1/2 tsp oil added prior to test: 20psi

On the first couple of cranks I was getting 80-90 psi and subsequent 5 or 6 cranks sent the needle to the numbers shown above.

So my question is, do the numbers look ok?  I haven't got the factory specs to compare them to.

Also, I'm about to attempt to change my clutch.  does anyone have a good procedure for this?  If there is a written procedure somewhere online, I'd like to get a copy of it.

David Zanotti

--
DanK
'87 16V Black