Re: exhaust trouble (i think)

At 09:06 PM 9/16/00 -0400, doug c. wrote:
>well i thought the problom with my car was that i blew a hole in my
downpipe...the car has 0 power...i have to give it a ton of gas just to get
it into first...the car is loud and also vibrates a good bit when you rev
it...so pretty much i can't drive it anywhere...well i finally crawled
under the car today and didn't find any holes in the downpipe...my question
is this...

>the clamp that bolts the cat to the pipe of the cat-back system is really
rusty...i think it may have come loose...there is also some black deposit
around the joint area, this would be a sign of exhaust escaping here right?
could this be the source of my problem? it doesn't seem like a little
exhaust escaping out right here would cause this much power loss, but
maybe...any where else i should look?

>any help would be appreciated...TIA
>
>-doug

If the clamp is really rusty more than likely it has rusted on, and isn't
loose.  Black deposit would indicate escaping exhaust,  combined with the
other symptoms would lead me to check the cat.  Sounds like it may be
plugged.  If this is the case hollow it out, and if you live in a state
where you need to have it, replace it when you get a chance.

John C. Worden
Wayne, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4
'86 Scirocco 8V