Re: [non roc]Volvo beats honda [how about the German Assault?]

Ian,
         Glad to hear everyone's okay.  A common misconception about
accidents is speed -- chances are that she was hit at under 10mph.  Bumpers
in 1980 were spec'ed to 5mph -- and since the amount of force at 10mph is
*8* times greater than at 5, it's unlikely that the car that hit her was
going any faster.  Regardless, don't you love it when that happens?! ;)

         Two funny aside stories to this:

1.  My sister had an 1986 Cherokee shitbox.  Long story short, she floored
it in reverse, not knowing that a brand new Paseo was right behind her
(oops, limo tint doesn't help at night).  She smacked the Paseo at probably
8mph and promptly rode up onto the hood.

         The Paseo, with less than 1000 miles on the odometer, was
totalled.  Yikes.  The Cherokee?  A scuff on the bumper.  It's all in the
way you hit!

And even better:

2.  My dad calls me on Monday to see if I'm allright from Sunday's accident
in the Scirocco.  I say yeah, and he says, well if it makes you feel
better, I also had an accident on Sunday in your car.  The car he's
referring to is, of course, the 1979 450SEL 6.9 Land-yacht meets
jet-fighter that I sold him.  He's at a light 3 cars back.  New Z3 is in
front piloted by an "insane Cuban chick", followed by a mid-30s guy in a
Tacoma, followed by my dad in the 6.9.  The Z3 launches off the line with
all kinds of wheelspin, so the Tacoma follows suit, chirps the rears off
the line and takes off.  My dad merely takes his foot off the brake pedal
and keeps up. :)

[slight exaggeration of course].  The crazy Cuban redlines 1st, chirps into
2nd and keeps going.  Apparently, she redlined 2nd and shifted *BACK* into
first.  Yeouch.  The Tacoma promptly rear-ends the Z3, and since the
Titanic doesn't exactly outbrake a 911, my dad promptly slams into the back
of the Tacoma.

"FUCK" he says, and gets out of the car.  He's walking towards the front,
and said he could only describe the Tacoma's rear heavy-duty chrome bumper
as resembling the twisted pieces of fiber that Saturday Night Live used to
make the ad for "Colon Blow".  He said he anxiously looked at the front of
the 6.9, and there was not so much as a scuff on the big, Rhode-Island
sized bumper.  He apologized to the guy as he broke out in hysterical
laughter, and walked to the front of the Tacoma.  He was shocked to see
that the Z3 only had some minor scuffs on the outside of the bumper
cover.  The front of the Tacoma?  Smashed completely in, radiator smoking
and pouring out coolant.

Now how's that for a German assault on the Japanese?

And my Dad said "The worst part was I had to stand outside in the 90' sun
for two fucking hours before the cops let me leave."  LOL, now you all know
where I get it from. :)

Jay

At 03:45 PM 9/13/00 , you wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>Sorry it wasn't my Scirocco that wasted a honduh, but since a honduh was
>damaged I figured I'd tell the story.
>
>Yesterday afternoon, Gina my fiancee (she'll be my wife in 2.5 weeks!) and
>her cuz + cuz's kid are heading back home from the dress shop.  They're
>having a grand time playing hookey from work and talking about how much
>Gina loves her Volvo.  The car is a 1980 245 (wagon), btw.  Right after
>Gina says what a great car she's got, they come to a red light and stop
>(of course, that's what normal people do.)  She looks in her rear view and
>sees a rice burner coming up real quick.  She says out loud, "Shit, this
>car is gonna hit us!"  She estimates his speed at 30-35.  At the last
>second rice boy locks up his tires and rear ends the Volvo pretty
>hard.  Gina and her cuz motion to rice boy to pull into the gas station
>they are in front of.  Mr. rice acknowledges the gesture and Gina heads
>for the station.  As she gets off the road and into the gas station, the
>light turns green and rice boy decides he better split cuz he's
>fu__ed.  So he guns it and takes off.  Gina says the rice car was really
>wasted.  The lights were gone, hood crumpled, bumper bent and fenders
>wrinkled.  The Volvo had some small scratches in the bumper rubber and a
>little bit of black plastic stuck on the bottom of the bumper.  She got
>some witness info, but no one got the plates.  The witness said it looked
>like a 95 civic 3 door burgundy color.
>
>It's hard to believe that the Volvo took a hit like that with no
>damage.  No one was hurt either, so I'm counting my blessings. Good thing
>we got rid of Gina's 85 accordion (POS) or things might have been different!
>
>Ian Overholt
>'88 16v
>'78 Champagne Edition

>http://profiles.msn.com.