Crack prevention was RE: Pulling a frame back together

The crack was on the driver's side on my '84 too.  I didn't even see it when
I was pulling the engine/tranny.  I was looking around the steering rack and
saw it pretty plainly, though.  Incidentally, my '82 doesn't have a crack.

How much do 16V lower stress bars go for?  Are any modifications, such as
drilling, required to install one on my '82?  Does a sway bar increase the
risk of cracking?

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'84 Scirocco