Re: passed smog - yes!

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:00:41 -0700 Kevin Collins <kcollins1@socal.rr.com>
writes:

> Another question for you California boys - I was required to go to a
> "test only" center.  I was told that about 15% of all cars are singled
> out at random for this requirement.  I asked if it was somehow a more
> stringent test, but was told "not really".  Anybody have any idea what
> this is all about?

Let me preface this buy saying that this is me best speculation

Smog check places can usually test your car, give you a report, and NOT
transmit your results to the DMV (or whoever gets it).  This is usually
called a pre-check, and if your car passes, they send your results in and
you pay for a certificate.  If your car doesn't pass, you have to go get
it fixed, but the DMV doesn't yet know.  Presumably, the "test only"
places would be mandated to send your results in regardless.
HTH.

-Timothy A Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Moses approached the thick darkness where God was
Exodus 20:21