1st & 2nd

No... not 1st and 2nd base < laughter>  I am having problems getting into
first when stopped (goes in fine while rolling).  Usually I let off the
clutch a little, and then it pops into gear.  The linkages are a little worn,
but not real bad.  I already replaced the relay rod and bushings for the
throw N-S part of the system.  Could this be worn shifter parts or a tranny
(god forbid) problem?
2nd...   This is worse.  Every time I shift from 1st to second, there is a
really bad chunck-grind thing.  I found a way around this:  pretend I am
shifting into 3rd, and then go to 2nd, works fine but is anoying and slow.
Downshift is not a problem.  Could this be bad or broke syncros?  I am hoping
these problems can be passed off as worn Linkages.  The car has well over
140k miles, and I am sure they have never been replaced.  Along with other
things like the clutch, and fuel pump.

Thanks for any help
P.S.  I am now without a place to work on my car: a.k.a. College, so I am
limited on what the campus cops will let me get away with.

Ben
86 8v