Re: 1st & 2nd

--- DNK006@aol.com wrote:
> No... not 1st and 2nd base < laughter>  I am having
> problems getting into
> first when stopped (goes in fine while rolling).
> Usually I let off the
> clutch a little, and then it pops into gear.  The
> linkages are a little worn,
> but not real bad.  I already replaced the relay rod
> and bushings for the
> throw N-S part of the system.  Could this be worn
> shifter parts or a tranny
> (god forbid) problem?
> 2nd...   This is worse.  Every time I shift from 1st
> to second, there is a
> really bad chunck-grind thing.  I found a way around
> this:  pretend I am
> shifting into 3rd, and then go to 2nd, works fine
> but is anoying and slow.
> Downshift is not a problem.  Could this be bad or
> broke syncros?  I am hoping
> these problems can be passed off as worn Linkages.
> The car has well over
> 140k miles, and I am sure they have never been
> replaced.  Along with other
> things like the clutch, and fuel pump.

This very well may be the linkage. Well worn or
improperly adjusted linkage can cause the symptoms
above. Of course it can be something worse, but always
hope for the cheap fix.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
Owner of 20th Century VWs
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)