WTB: GTI, etc in southern IN area

I have a co-worker who is looking to buy a car in the near future.  He needs
something reliable, but he also wants something fun, like a GTI/GLI.  He
would kind of prefer one in the $1-1.5k range, but I think he's willing to
pay more if he can find one that's very reliable and won't leave him
stranded at 11pm in January or anything (not that there are any guarantees
as to reliability of an expensive car, or unreliability of an inexpensive
car or anything).

Does anyone have some good leads for me?

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'84 Scirocco
'70 Bug - Hibernating