RE: Non Roc - Airbags

<snip Brian>
>Could one of you aspiring Rocket Scientists explain to me exactly why you
>would want to disable a drivers side airbag?

<end Brian>

One of the primary reasons is for short people who sit close to the wheel.
Despite being labeled as a "secondary restraint" to the seatbelt, first
generation airbags were designed to stop an unrestrained, 200 lb, 6' tall
man.  Because of that, the exploding force is generally too much for say, a
5' 2", 110lb woman who is only a few inches from the wheel.  It's caused
fatalities, broken face bones, concussions, etc.  Sometimes in crashes that
are at 5-10 mph.

<soapbox>
Personally, I think they're an unnecessary "safety" device that was pushed
through Congress.  They seem to be causing as much harm as good, create more
expensive repairs in otherwise inexpensive accidents, and create big, lumpy,
ugly steering wheels.
</soapbox>

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v