Rust Never Sleeps

Winter is coming, and in Minnesota that is a big
problem with all the salt they use on the roads. My
'87 16v was in rough shape when I purchased it, dirty,
full of broken glass and lots of little non-critical
problems. It is shaping up, but there are a few spots
of rust, and I have to drive the car through this
winter before it reaches toy status and begins a
pampered automotive life. There is rust on the
driver's side door near the door handle, a spot of
surface rust on the roof, and some rust near the fuel
tank inlet. Other than that the car is clean, except
for chipped lenses and scratches. I plan on sanding
the rust spots down and covering them with black
primer to more closely match the black paint. Near the
gas tank inlet, which is the worst spot, the rust
looks very deep, a little bondo may be necessary. The
goal is to slow things down for better body work and
painting in the future. I would appreciate any advice
about this.

Jorel Jackson

87 16 v
85 8v (soon to be scavenged for parts)