Re: [non] wolfburgs & cabriolets

At 11:32 PM -0400 9/3/00, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   as for the cabriolet, i'm looking to buy one. i may have a lead and a
>good deal on one, though i'm not sure what to look for as i've never had
>a convertible. mr. jarrett was going to show me, but as we worked so
>long on HIS waterpump, i let it slip my mind.

*Gulp*

Lesse:

I'm a snob; I prefer the Rabbit Convertible (the '80-84 ragtops).
'85 - '87 they are badged as Cabriolets; '88-93 they got the "clipper
body kit" like Daun's mom's or Alee's.  I know later ones (ie. '93)
have Digifant.  Apparently '88's have CIS-E.

DO NOT (no no no no!) GET AN AUTOMATIC!  Bleck!

>i'm not looking to spend a
>whole lot. i know that the cabriolets are pretty much a scirocco with a
>different body,

Well, I'd say Rabbit more than Scirocco.  Until they became Cabrios
in '94(?), they are A1 bodied cars.  The chassis is an A1 chassis,
with some underbody reinforcements.

>but what about the top,

Look at the fold points. How cracked are they?  My '84 had big cracks
at the first and second fold point;  the '81's even starting to show
some wear there.

Rust on the frame is a good reason to RUN AWAY.  The car has had its
top removed and other structural things added; you don't want to risk
it.  However, the Rabbit Convertibles, and I believe all the
Cabriolets were built in Germany; I've yet to see one with rusty
shock towers, for example.

C'mon down to Daun's for the Cincy show later this month. I'll take
you for a ride in mine and show you what a little extra effort (heh)
can get you in a convertible.

| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net                                        |