16V Project Not Starting

I spent the most part of today trying to get the 16V swap to catch. This is
what I have done so far....

-ensured that each injector was spraying gas - positive!
-checked for spark at each cylinder ------positive!
-aligned the camshaft to the proper timing mark on the valve cover.
-ensured that the crank (#1 cylinder) was at TDC
-rotor was pointing to spark plug number one
-firing order - 1-3-4-2 counterclockwise
-fuel pump relay is working properly (actually I used a jumper wire with a
switch most of the times I attempted to start the rocco up)

I've noted that the starter is turning the motor over very slowly.
Evidently, the motor is turning but it doens't even sound like it's wanting
to catch.  Now what?  The battery is brand new and it's registering 12.5V.
Now where do I look?  TIA

Sal

81 Scirocco S (wannabe 16V)
84 Wolfie Scirocco (for sale)
84 VWabbit (jealous of the rocco)
67 Peugeot 404 (jealous of the rocco and the vwabbit)