Re: brake bleeding

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:48:40 -0400 (EDT) Jake <maalouf@eng.buffalo.edu>
writes:
> Can anyone explain to me how to bench bleed a master cylinder?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jake
>
> '87 16V
> '87 GLi

You hook up temporary lines from each threaded hole to the reservoir.
You fill the reservoir with brake fluid, and then you pump the M/cyl
until there are no air bubbles.

I usually use a long shaft and work the M/cyl against a wall.
You can also bolt it to the booster and use the brake pedal to pump it.

As I disconnect each bench bleeding line, I plug the hole with the caps
that the M/cyl came with.
This allows me to take my time and get each steel line threaded and
secured, without the constant seeping of brake fluid.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V