Re: Scirocco: piece of s%#! or masterpiece?

I remember seeing a 3rd gen RX-7 for the first time and thinking, "It's
about time Mazda stopped ripping off Porsche (924/944) and came out with
an original design." Then about a month later, I was a passenger in my
friends Scirocco and we were molested by two punk kids in a Bright and
Shiny red RX-7. They pulled next to us at a light on my side and when it
turned green, they took off...we didn't know we were racing. What we DID
know is that the smoke left behind wasn't simply tire smoke. The two
little nibble nuts got waaaaaay out in front, leaving a nice little
trail-o-smoke, and cut in front of us to get into the middle turning
lane. When we got to that light (still red) we ended up offset to their
right rear. It was at that point that we noticed the following:

1.) 30 day tag...the car was f%@&ing NEW!
2.) Adhesive residue on the passenger glass. (from the dealer sticker?)
3.) A steady stream of lingering smoke puffinging from that enormous
stock tip (wtf?)
4.) And the two goobers looking for their next unsuspecting victim

<end or RX-7 craptent>

In my life I have owned several cars: (but I've seen people on the list
with more cars at once)
'81 Isuzu I mark
'83 Isuzu Impulse
'86 Bronco II
'88 Bronco II (I learned my lesson with this one)
'87 Saab 9000 turbo
'76 Chevy Van (road warrior)
'78 280Z
'79 924
'80 Rabbit
'83 Scirocco
'81 Audi 5000 gas turbo
'91 Jetta GLi
'87 Scirocco 16v {red} (current)
'87 Scirocco 16v {black} (parts)
'87 Scirocco 16v {silver} (project)

See a trend toward all things German? My point is, the Scirocco still
turns heads and is still competitive with todays cars. I get evil looks
from the kids in my area that had daddy buy them their "sporty" new honda
and they get trounced by a car that's 13 years their senior. I have
people ask me if my car is a 1990 something. I have people ask me what
kind of car it is and they say, "A Volkswagen?!?"
I prefer to feel the road as I drive and that's hard if not impossible to
find in the automotive industry today.
I think that most of you can agree that the Scirocco is timeless. (F%@k
Motortrend? for calling it "dated" as per the Mk2) Each one of us can
tailor it to fit our individual tastes. I'm 6' 1" 225lbs and I fit
comfortably...I'm sure there are listers of varying heights and weights
that are quite comfortable in there car as well.
I can't call it a masterpiece because of the changes I've made, but it is
FAR from a p.o.s.

<my two slugs...damn I'm cheap>
Eric
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.