Re: '87 16v wheel question

At 06:07 AM 9/1/00 -0700, Jorel wrote:
>I wanted to look at the brake pads on my '87 and
>noticed there is this disc covering the lug nuts. This
>disc cannot be pried out of place w/o a special tool
>it appears. It looks like a torx wrench kind of thing,
>there are lots of little teeth. Definately an allen
>wrench won't work. I looked at the jack in back hoping
>to find a special tool for this, but could find
>nothing. None of my other sciroccos had such a set
>up...was there a tool that came with this car when it
>was new? If so, I am currently out of luck, since I
>havn't got one. What to do in the mean time? Is their
>some other substitute to remove these disks? I figure
>there must be since I had new tires put on the car
>shortly after I purchased it. Somehow the guys who
>changed the tires managed without much trouble.
>
>Jorel Jackson
>'87 16v
>'85 8v

It is *like* a torx, but is metric.  These are called spline bits and
triple squares among other names.  There should be a tool with the tire
changing tool kit, but sometimes they disappear.  You can use a hex key on
it, if you are careful.  But you should get the right tool.  Once you have
them out coating the threads with some antiseize is a great idea to avoid
problems in the future.

John