RE: Evolution of Sports Cars (was: Scirocco: piece of s%#! or masterpiece?)

<snip Mark>
They do generally get more powerful, but the initial concept of
the design is often lost.
<end Mark>

<Reaching into pocket for $.02>
Well, yes and no.  Mark makes some good points that many sports cars have
become fat pigs over their lifetime, but I think that has to do with the
time frame he's looking at.  I agree, the Z cars, the GTI, the MR2, etc. all
changed from a nimble, quick, affordable rides to fat, cushy wannabes over
their life span.  But that was mostly in the 80's when sports cars were
status symbols that people wanted to pose in and drive everyday.  There was
an attempt at a return to the true sports car with the final Z, the final
RX7, etc. in the early/mid 90s, but the sales weren't there due to SUVs and
high prices for these impractical cars.  I think there's a bit of a rebirth
going on now.  The Elise is a great example (drool, damn DOT/EPA).  That
being said, some cars have remained pretty true to their original concept.
The 911 is a good example.  Although it's heavier and more powerful than
it's original incarnation 40+ years ago, it still is quick, nimble, and
powerful (true to the 356).  I think some of the American pony cars have
also remained true to the concept.  I'm not saying I agree with the concept,
but the Mustang is still a relatively light weight, rear wheel drive, V8
that can fly in a straight line.

Anyway, I know this off the original question.  But from a layman's point of
view, I think the Scirocco is engineered pretty well.  My opinion is based
on the durability of the engine and the little things that prevent dumb
mistakes (like offset bolts to prevent incorrect reinstallation of parts).
Anyone who's worked on other cars has probably found this isn't always the
case.

<Coins placed in kitty, stepping of the soapbox>

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II