How low is too low for Bilsteins?

Joe Doty wrote:

> The guy that told me that neuspeed race would kill the shocks said that
> having it so low would wear them out faster.

That is true to a point.  Lower any car with any strut too far, and the
struts will bottom with every movement and decrease their useful life.
However, this is not the case with the majority of the aftermarket spring
MFRs since they are manufactured to operate in a useable range for the
struts.  Besides, our cars only start out with 4" of travel.  Knock more
than 2" off of that, and you create more problems with suspension geometry
that really affect you handling/compliance.

And yes, Bilstein Sports with lowering springs produce a ride quality that
is "a bit harsh". The comfort level deep in a positive camber sweeper is
very high indeed.

Hope this is meaningful for you,
David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco