Re: need to buy struts

"Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com> writes:
>Sorry Dave, I must disagree. KYB's IME are probably the most
>reliable strut for the money. Especially if you use Gas-A-Just on
>the rear (unfortunately they dont make these for the front). Gas-A-
>Just are very stiff and handle just as good as Boge's. Not to
>mention the fact that their warranty is better than Bilstein or Koni.
>You dont have to wait for your new struts to be shipped back to
>you. All you have to do is go to the store you bought them from
>and they will give you a new set and send your old ones in on
>their dime and time. GR-2 is what is available for the front. They
>are not so hot (esp. if you have chopped springs). Although they
>are a good strut they might not bee as stiff as a Boge. But even
>then at least you get a new set if they go bad.
>Boge's OTOH have NO warranty or at least not one worth mentioning.
>KYB warrants their product forever.

Had to step in on this discussion. Chris I must disagree with your
comments. First the warranty is not any better than Boge, Bilstein
or Koni. Any good retailer will give you a replacement and all you
have to do is leave a deposit on the new ones till you bring back
the bad ones. Not a problem. Also where did you get information
that Boge/Sachs have no warranty ?? The progas and turbogas
both have lifetime warranty. The stock replacement Boge/Sachs
(which we almost never sell and not recommended for performance
minded people) have a 2 year warranty.

We will not sell KYB shocks and do not recommend them. We can
make just as much profit on them if we wanted to sell them. On a
Japanese car we may sell them but again we almost never sell
parts for any other car besides a VW or Audi.

I am sure they may work great and I am glad to hear they worked
good for you. Years ago we use to see many failures of KYB's with
lowered springs. Another issue we did not like about KYB is that
they replace the factory bumpstops and some hardware with there
own design. So if a person decides to change back to a OE style
shock they have to buy the parts if they did not save them. This
may have changed as it has been many years since we have run
into it.

What is best for anyone is what there budget can afford and what
type of driving they do. Stock height car then the Progas or
turbogas will work great. Lowered car (Mk1 chassis) then only the
turbo gas. Got more money to spend then you have Bilstein and
Koni. For over 15 years we have been selling all three of the above
and find them to be equal as far as failure rates go. The
Boge/Sachs are a great economy priced shock. They are not Koni
or Bilsteins and they don't try to be.

Sorry guys I will miss the gathering for the group interior strip. It
would of been fun to do the dyno but I will be on the road back from
Sema.

If any 16V Scirocco owners are looking for parts I still have this 87
Scirocco that we are parting out. The interior is gone (will be next
week) but most of the car is left. Let me know.
http://www.vwaftermarket.com/classifieds/NDparts.asp

Off to VW driver school tomorrow.
http://www.newdimensions.com/vwschool/
and then a week in Vegas.