Speedo Miscalibration

Hey y'all of the collective wisdom,

I just put in a "new" speedo in my 78 and it is way off on "metering" speed.
Originally I had the 85mph speedo and now I put in a 100mph speedo.

The "new" gauge has 170k miles on it, and with an FN tranny in 5th gear at
3000rpm it reads 84mph. According to the gear chart calculator it should be
75mph, which is what the old speedo read.

It seems to get worse the faster I go. i.e. in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm it reads
46mph, where it should read 41. Only a 5 mph difference

What is the problem, and how can I fix it? Is it a speedo cable mismatching
(I wouldn't think so as the MK1's all had the same final drive, right?) or
something else?

Anyway, I'd rather keep this gauge as I just put on a set of white faces on
it (relax, I eased the needle over the stop pin and marked where it rested,
and that is where I reinstalled it to, besides not putting the needle in the
right place would result in a non-changing difference between measured and
actual speed).

It's just an annoying problem that I'd like to fix soon.

TIA

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8