Re: rewiring headlamps, please. (SOLVED, I think)

RoccoPhil wrote:

> I want to rewire the headlamps in all my roccos so that whenever the
> headlamp switch is in the MID position and the ignition is in the RUN
> position, the entire system (handlamps, sidemarkers, taillights, etc) are
> ON.  When I turn the car off, ALL the lights go off (including headlamps).
> If I turn the switch to full on, then the system comes on completely again.
> Thereby I can normally just keep it in the MID position and always have the
> lights on when driving, but still have the ability to override the system
> and turn them on with the ignition off by putting the switch full on.

  Phil, this can be accomplished with a bit of rewiring on your switch
and with the use of relays.

  If you switch around the wires that goto terminal 30 and terminal X on
the switch, you will have the ability to have the headlights on when the
switch is in the FULL position (with no ignition), while the parking
lights will be activated in the MID and FULL position (only with
ignition on).  Keep in mind that in the headlight switch, we have 2
inputs for power (terminal 30 and terminal X) and 3 for output, terminal
56 to headlights, terminal 58 to parking, and terminal 58b to interior
lights.  Terminals 58 and 58b are active when the switch is in either
MID or FULL, while terminal 56 is only active when the switch is in the
FULL position.

  So, to be able to get all the lights on in the FULL postion with the
ignition off, then you simply need to jumper terminal 86 wire (W/BK)
with terminal 58 wire (GY/G).  Now with your igntion off, and the
headlight switch on FULL, all the lights will be on, including
headlights.  I HIGHLY recommend relaying the headlights at this point or
else you will end up having a single 16 guage wire powering all your
parking and interior lights (as normal) but it will also be powering
your headlights.  The wire that normally powers the headlights is a 12
guage wire, so, you REALLY need to relay the headlights if you are going
to use this method.  Besides, if you havent already relayed your
headlights, it is something you will be thankful you did.

  So, after switching wires at terminal 30 & terminal X, & putting a
jumper wire between terminal 58 & 56, & relaying the headlights, you now
want to have the ability to only have all the lights on in the MID
position with the ignition switch on, while having all the lights on in
the FULL position with no igntion (actually it works with ignition on or
off).  To do this you need to put a relay between the output at terminal
58 on the headlight switch and the spot in which you placed that jumper
wire that goes to terminal 56.  This way, when the headlight switch is
in the MID position you can only get power to the lights with the
ignition on (using terminal 15 as the trigger).  Then when the switch is
in the FULL position, the output of terminal 56 will have power cuz its
corresponding input is now terminal 30 (always hot), you can bypass the
use of the relay in the circuit and the lights will all function
properly.

  Hopefully you arent lost.  Can anyone confirm this or point out any
errors as I have been looking at an Mk1 headlight switch versus the Mk2,
albeit I think they are the same.  Also, I can draw up some diagrams if
you are having a hard time picturing this in your head and/or you dont
have a bentley.  Anyone have an Mk2 headlight switch wiring diagram that
I can check out online?  Anyways, hope this helps somewhat... let me
know if you want me to be more or less descriptive.  =)

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79