Re: Buying another A1 car (help)

Dank,

If you're putting in yer GTI tranny and it has the 100mm flanges, it won't fit
the Rabbit inner CV's since they had the 90mm flanges.  When converting to to 5-
speed, you can use linkages from any MK1 rabbit, scirocco or Jetta I believe.
All you would need to change are the linkages and the long shift mechanism
which is found at the end of the shift rod (sorry, I'm at a loss for the name
of the part-don't have the VW bible on me).  I've done the swap in my Rabbit so
if you need help, lemme know.  The only thing to remember, you must align the
shifter properly, otherwise you'll have problems shifting.  For this, refer to
the Bentley.

HTH

Sal

Quoting FreshApple <freshapple@mac.com>:

> Well after arguing about price.  I am finally buying another A1
> car.
It's a very clean '81 Rabbit diesel with 80k on the motor.  I have
> seen
documents and know this mileage to be true.  The car needs work
> though.
After screwing around on the price, the guy wanted 500 bucks, I
> told him
I'd give him 400 because of the stuff that needed to be
> fixed.
Passenger's side window did not roll down, rear hatch shocks
> were
faulty, needs exhaust, plastic shifter ball in the floor has
> rotted and
cracked.  The car is drivable, but I needed to pull the
> shifter back up
to be able to delicately shift it.  It also has a
> 4-speed tranny.

A few requests and concerns...
I want to put my
> 5-speed in it from my '85 GTI.  It is an 020 tranny and
should fit in
> the rabbit.  Does anyone have a shift mechanism from the
floor and
> 5-speed linkage for me?  Will the 4-speed linkage work with
the 5-speed
> tranny, or do I need to switch everything over?  Will a
scirocco
> linkage fit or do I need it from a rabbit?  Also, I think the
GTI has
> 100 mm flanges on the tranny and I bet the rabbit has the 90
mm.  Is
> this right?

The guy broke the passenger's side window when he was
> trying to fix it.
Anyone got a window for a 2 door?  That was the straw
> that broke him.
He is done trying to be handy and just wants to get rid
> of the car now,
along with paying another months insurance on a car
> that was sitting in
his driveway.  So he's selling it to me for 400

--
DanK
'87 Scirocco 16v
http://www.uwm.edu/~kroenke