Re: Poly suspension bushings

>As I go through the Famous Cheap Scirocco, I want to
>add poly bushings where it makes sense...i.e., NOT in
>motor mounts, but:
>-control arm (got 'em,like 'em in the Cabby)
>-swaybar
>-steering rack
>-rear shock towers
>-trailing arm bearings
>
>Dumb questions:
>
>Which - if any - of the above vary from a Scirocco to
>an A1 (like a Cabby, Rabbit, or Jetta)?

Scirocco's are A1's, in case you didn't realize.  If you've
got a power steering rack, I've heard that only one of the
poly manual rack mounts fits...anybody done any modifications
to get both poly rack mounts to fit on the power rack?

> Some
>manufacturers don't list much as being available for
>the Scirocco.  I *think* they should all fit, but
>don't want to order unless sure...

All the items you have listed (outside of the steering
rack due to manual vs power) are the same between all
the A1 cars...as for the swaybar, are you upgrading
the stock bar mounts to poly?  I think Autotech might
be the only source for those, otherwise, an aftermarket bar
will most likely come with poly mounts already.

>Which - if any - would you tell me NOT to do?  This is
>my ride, so I don't mind firmness, a little buzziness,
>etc.

I might suggest not to do the rear trailing arms bearings
as there are reports of poly bushings disintegrating, and
the rear trailing arm bushings are more difficult to get at
then the front IMO.  Your call naturally. :)

>Who makes the best?  Are the cheapies as good as the
>high$$ ones?

Not sure really, what are the choices?  Autotech is one
source that I know of...who makes theirs I wouldn't know.
Does Energy Suspension (Red) make poly bushings for VW's?
Prothane (black ones)?  and who is that makes the blue ones?

good luck!

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net