Re: How good is CIS-E + fuel enrichment module??

>Folks,
>
>To what hp do you think you can trust the CIS-E & enrichment module to
>perform accurately (should I say, what will it support)?

As identified by Darrell Vittone of Techtonics (at some point in history)
an unmodified CIS system is good for about 170hp, the CIS-E system with
it's slightly tighter control of mixture, is probably good to about 180hp.
The CIS-Motronic system is good for NA and turbo applications to 240hp
or more with the correct chip.

>Man, I do *NOT* want to have to do a Motronic conversion.  'Cause if that is
>necessary, I will kiss that sweet little ol' 16v goodbye and install a JRC
>Motorsports Turbo setup.

Converting to Motronic is not that difficult, see the write up on
scirocco.org, in the tech procedures section.  Obviously I've done it. :)

>I am aghast at what it costs to do a 16v motor.

I've talked about this many many time in the past, I have definitely been
there. :)

>Check this out:

>Motor from JRC Motorsports= ~ $3,000  #(see footnote)

Tad on the expensive side in my experience, for what you're getting.

>New hoses & sport clutch= ~ $1,000

Also a bit on the expensive side, based on my own experience.

>Everything else to make it up-to-date for a new engine= ~ $500-750, maybe
>$1,000 (cause I *will* blueprint those injectors!)

Probably more! :)  (Also based on my own experience)

>Not even throwing in the oil cooler setup here...
>

>#  Footnote: This motor is a Stage II 16v head with cc'd chambers + a
>balanced & blueprinted 1984cc 16v block with ARP goodies and killer gaskets,
>in addition to heat-treated Mahle pistons, 36mm oil pump, and sportwindage
>tray.  So there...  8>P

>=====================
>
>Cripes!  That does not even include what I want to do with the tranny (my
>dream is a VL Enterprises AGB tranny with .80 6th gear addition + Quaife
>differential --- what a pipedream!).  Plus a new, quality paintjob.  Think
>I'm gonna be sick over this.

Just did my own custom transmission, decided to skip the 6th gear conversion
though.

>So, before I even get this 16v, I need to know if Motronic will be
>necessary.

Dunno, what's your plan?  We can probably help... :-)

good luck!

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net