Re: wheels

Todd Detwiler wrote:

> I seem to be having trouble getting this email to the list, so I
> apologize in advance if this multiple posts.
>
> I have a mk1 Scirocco and am considering buying new rims. I have been
> thinking about going with 16", but I was wondering what other mk1
> owners were using. Is there anyone running 17" without a rubbing prob?
> What do you guys recommend for width and offset? The lug pattern is
> 4x100 right?

   Todd, you will want 4x100 and a hub of 57.1mm on whichever wheel you
get.  If you dont find rims that are hubcentric, you will want to make
sure you get hubcentric rings.  Otherwise, you may notice some shimmying
while driving due to a wheel that isn't correctly centered on the hub.

  As far as 17s go, I am running 17s on my 79 Scirocco.  I get no
rubbing up front (even with only a pinkies width between the tire and
fender, using Koni Sport Adjustables with ST springs), but I do get a
little in the rear if I am really weighted down and I hit a good bump (I
also shaved my rear fender lip, you want pics???).

  Concerning wheel choice, some rims in a 16 looks plenty big on a
scirocco, while some 17s look quite nice.  Its really preference.
Whichever you decide, should you get a 7.5" width rim, I would go with a
35m offset (anything more and you will be in on your spring, anything
less and your tire is likely to rub all over the fender lip).  If you
find a 7" wide rim you like, look at getting an offset of between 38 &
40mm.  I ran a 30mm offset on a 7" & a 25mm offset on a 7.5" wide rim,
and both were WAY too little of an offset.  Hope that Helps...

  BTW, are you still over at the University of Washington?

Andre'
Lime Green 79
http://idt.net/~volkswgn/profile/pro3.html
Kirkland, WA