Re: Oxy sensor Q

> Casey Webster wrote:
>

> I don't have an oxy sensor connected at the moment, cause the PO took
> it off when he put on the header (the header even has fittings for
> it), but I'd like to add one to get back the lost power and better gas
> mileage.  Silly me has been driving around without one for a year and
> a half
>
> There are 2 fittings on the header.  one near the top coming out of
> cylinder 2 I think and the other is at the bottom of the header where
> all 4 pipes connect.  which is a better spot to put the sensor?
>
> I can't figure that one out because I would think that closer to the
> motor is better, but that one cylinder might not be same as the
> others.

The better place would be were all come together, either up top or down
low. The problem witht he lower spot is it's too cool so you _will_ need
to use the 3 wire model as opposed to the single wire 02. The upper spot
is only sampling a single cylinder.

Of ther three wires one is signal, one is switched 12V and the other is
ground (two black + one white wire)

You will need to retro fit the wires from the later car's electrical schematic.

> Also, someone on the mk1gti list said that you can use a bosch 3 wire
> sensor from a mustang GT and it would work....is this true?  I've
> heard of using ford sensors for a 16v, but is it possible for an 8v?
> they are a lot cheaper
>
> TIA
> Casey

It is possible to retrofit the Ford 02 sensor, it wont come with long
enough wires but so what?
Contact Potterman 1st though, he might do you what you need for the
right price and you can sleep nights knowing you don't have mismatched
parts on your car. (As if it matters too much;)