Oxy sensor Q

I don't have an oxy sensor connected at the moment, cause the PO took it off when he put on the header (the header even has fittings for it), but I'd like to add one to get back the lost power and better gas mileage.  Silly me has been driving around without one for a year and a half

There are 2 fittings on the header.  one near the top coming out of cylinder 2 I think and the other is at the bottom of the header where all 4 pipes connect.  which is a better spot to put the sensor?

I can't figure that one out because I would think that closer to the motor is better, but that one cylinder might not be same as the others.

Also, someone on the mk1gti list said that you can use a bosch 3 wire sensor from a mustang GT and it would work....is this true?  I've heard of using ford sensors for a 16v, but is it possible for an 8v?  they are a lot cheaper

TIA
Casey
84 Roc
88 Golf