RE: 16V Cam setup/260 intake cam with stock exhuast?

At 11:34 PM -0400 10/11/00, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:
>Anything below 268 degrees during is probably going to have a decent idle.
>The 268 will get a bit more lumpy.  The 'bigger' the cam, the more top
>end power (to a point) it will add, with a greater loss at the low end
>and midrange...there is no free lunch.  Overlap has a lot to do with how
>well a car idles, so anything around 32 degrees or less will most likely
>not be too lumpy.
>
>==Brett

Brett's right, there is no free lunch when it comes to cams.  268s, or even
276es for that matter, can be set up to idle at a stable rpm, but the
exhaust pulses become more and more staggered as the duration goes up.  If
your idle rpm stays above 1000, you can avoid that lumpy big-block V8
shake, but your car will still go "brrump-brrump-brummp" a bit.  I kinda
dig it, myself, but it does take a toll on motor mounts and interior
rattles.

On a related note, the asymmetrical setup that's getting all this buzz does
seem to avoid (for the most part) the horsepower/idle tradeoff.  I have a
set of asymmetrical Pipers in my car and it idles better than a set of
Schrick 268s AND IMO makes for a faster ride.  YMMV!