Shift light (was: center dash...light up?)

>   where i work we simply call them transmission switches (appears on the
> invoice that way as well). i'd imagine we'd call them that b/c an
> upshift switch could also, technically, be a relay (same with the back
> up lights).

Okay, silly question time:

Is it possible to change the points at which the shift light turns on?  Say,
to light up when one should shift to stay within the power band, rather than
for "optimum fuel economy"?

Sorry if this topic has been hashed before...

Mike Carlson
'75 Scirocco "Helga" - R.I.P.
'85 Scirocco "Konrad" - Gone but not forgotten
'95 GTI VR6 "Wolfgang" - http://members.home.net/m-carlson/Wolfgang.htm
'84 Scirocco (name pending) - http://members.home.net/m-carlson/84Scirocco/