Re: VW Scirocco 16V

    How true!  I bought my '87 16v for $1600 US with 95k on it.  After blowing
the timing belt due to the tiny little half circle key breaking away between
the cam and cam sprocket.  I had to rebuild the head.  New valves, seats,
seals, guides, and machine work done to the head, plus parts & labor, like head
bolts, timing belt tensioner bearing, fluids, etc...  That cost me about
$1000.  Then an additional $1800 in maintenance and repairs.  I have kept a
list and marked most of my receipts to make my rocco safe to drive.  New brake
rotors fr & rr, calipers fr & rr, suspension fr & rr, fr upper strut bearings,
tires, tune-ups, O2 sensor, plug wires, rotor, cap, drive axles, fuel pumps
(2), fr. wheel bearings and hubs, ball joints... etc.  All this over 2 years of
driving.
Please note that these are not performance parts, but just stuff that has
normal wear and needed to be replaced for proper driving and safety.  Most
stuff I have seen fail on my VW's started to happened around 100k.  I have
great confidence in my car and am not afraid to take it on long trips now.  My
point being, you get what you pay for.

--
DanK
'87 Scirocco 16v Black