Re: VW Scirocco 16V

Ben Rogowski
> I just bought an '89 16V GTI for $650.  It's no prize winner, but it runs
> good and looks decent.

See, they can be found but its rarely on a schedule that works for you.
Most likely you'll find a super bargain the week after you buy one.

> As David mentioned though, it will have problems.  But what 13 year
> old car doesn't.

So true.  The other side to that coin though is the number of "clueless"
people who drive a bone stock 16V.  They like them for whatever reason, but
they don't have the madness, like we do, for the car.  There is a lady up in
Portland I see regularly, who drives possibly the most perfect flash silver
16V I've seen in the wild.  It is sooo factory.  The drivers bolster is even
mint.  I've wanted to make the effort to approach her, but I just don't need
(read I'm cash poor right now) another car.

So if you find a good condition car for $3800 to $4500, think of the things
you DON'T need to replace :)

everybody has their own way of looking for cars.  Just thought I would share
my perspective.  I paid "more" for my car than other Scirocco's which were
available, and outside of routine wear items, I haven't had to do a damn
thing.  The upside is, I didn't know that Volkswagens could be so reliable
and exhilarating to drive (I knew, but there has always been some kind of
compromise for me in terms of power and broken parts).  In fact, I finished
the Summer by driving to almost Canada to almost Mexico in the span of 26
days (almost 3K miles!).

Now all I need is a job so I can buy some more HP for both cars.

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI
Eugene, OR