Re: 16V scirocco owner need some help!

--- Dan Kraus <u1002712@warwick.net> wrote:
> To List,
>
> A Man just called me on the phone and he has a problem..
>
> - He just bought a 16V scirocco which is a very good
> thing, but he said
> that it sounds like a diesel... The motor is Very loud.
>
> The car runs strong, no smoke, no leakes, starts right up
> SO WHAT MIGHT
> BE THE PROBLEM?
>
> He thinks it might be the lifters.( Would this be a good
> guess?)
>
> Dan Kraus

Lifters will be a light metallic tapping noise.  What about
his downpipe?  Could that be leaking?  They can be pretty
loud when they crack.  I also had bolt on the heat-shield
on the downpipe loosen a little and make one HELL of a
racket at certain RPMs.

Just throwin' out ideas...    see if you can pinpoint where
the noise is coming from.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup (2)
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
"...And Morgo, as the friendly Draub." - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In