no power off idle; CO adjustment?

     It has to do with the fact I have no throttle response off of idle. I
tried to adjust the CO content, but I didn't get anywhere. I wonder if it
has anything to do with timing? When I timed the motor after I dropped it in
the light was jumping back and forth around. I was holding it steady, and it
was jumping before and after TDC. Someone told me that could be a ground
problem. I found ground that was off, and reconnected it. I then just
recently replaced the gutted out cat w/a new aftermarket downpipe/cat. It
was running fine for a few days, and then I noticed a change in the throttle
response yesterday morning, and when I got in it to drive later that night
it wouldn't even idle higher than 250 rpms! What the heck! any ideas???

chris
88 16v rocco (sold for $500 & a sweet indash cd player
              that someone wanted more than me and stole
               a month and a half later. Bought 87)
87 16v rocco (won't run for s__t) :(
84 gti (sold)
80 Rabbit Diesal (blew up, fixed, then stripped it,
                  dropped the motor into an '81 diesal
                   rab, and sold it)
86 gti (flipped it, RIP)

http://profiles.msn.com.