Help: RD to ABA

I've got an '87 Jetta GLI with the RD engine and 180,000 miles. Just bought a new ABA longblock with 8 valve 1.8 head. The timing covers and the shield? that has the timing mark on it don't match up ( Now I understand why the nickname "tallblock"). Will the covers from an A3 match up? Also, I thought there was an article somewhere on this conversion, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Nick