Re: Feeling like a dumbass....2 and 3

Both were cars brought to me.

1)
Scirocco 16v owner:
"I replaced the little green o ring on the back of the distributor 'cause
it was leaking oil..." (yes, i know, i know) "...and now it acts like
it's out of timing or sumthing. It don't have any power!"

Moi:
"Did you put the two distributor bolts back into the correct holes?"

Scirocco 16v owner:
"Huh?"

Moi:
"You can't advance the distributor far enough if you get the two bolts in
the wrong holes. Front-top and back-bottom!"

Scirocco 16v owner: (with a blank stare)
"Oh...yeah."

NOTE: Two weeks later Alan did the same thing when repairing his hall
sending unit

2)
Jetta GL owner:
"I just replaced my axle and now the damn wheel bearing on the same side
is going out! I hate this car!"

Moi:
"How are you so sure it's the bearing on the same side?"

Jetta GL owner:
"Because that's the drive axle side."

Moi:
"I see.  Did you jack the car up to check it?"

Jetta GL owner: (look of confusion)
"No?"

I ask him what side and he directs me to the passenger side. I swing the
jack under the car and kneel down to position it. I stop, smile, and
began to spin the axle nut off with my index finger.

Moi: (still smiling)
"Do you think you forgot to double check something?"

Jetta GL owner: (smugly)
"It's supposed to be like that, I read it in the book."

He proceeds to bring out the Bentley and flips to the page with the vital
information.

Jetta GL owner:
"See?"

He points to the page.

Moi:
"Well, this is the information for the REAR bearing on a car with four
wheel disk brakes. Let's try something."

I replaced the nut and torqued it, showing him how I found the
information in HIS book.

Moi:
"Take it for a spin and see if that took care of the problem."

I never saw him again.

Eric
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v/